Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
[email protected] boltar@cylonHQ.com is offline

Default Accelerator stuck wide open while car is going fast: what should you do?

On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 11:08:23 +0100
"NY" wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
NY wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
Any diesel that is/was intended to be hand startable will have one.
It'd have to operate on all cylinders to enable hand starting...

I'm always amazed that my car starts on a very cold morning when the oil
will presumably be more viscous. It sometimes takes longer to fire

I now have a stop-start car. For normal starts it uses the pinion-based
starter, once warmed up sufficiently that stop-start comes into operation,
it uses the alternator to re-start through the belt.

The stop-start takes a little getting used to (many factors that influence
whether it will or won't operate, such as aircon, steering angle, gearbox
mode, etc).

Annoyingly it's not fully predictable, e.g. you brake to a stop, the
engine stops, the hold-assist on the brakes kicks in (saving you from
having to apply the parking brake while preventing brake lights from
annoying the car behind) when you take your foot off the brake *sometimes*
the engine will restart immediately, surely it could have worked out
before stopping that it would need to restart, and not bothered stopping?

Our Honda has stop-start which can be turned off if you want. I hadn't
realised it doesn't always use the starter motor to restart - maybe that's
model-dependant, because it sounds exactly the same noise as when the car is
started on the key.

If the alternator is capable of starting the car why don't they just remove
the starter motor and save the cost and weight?