Posted to uk.transport,uk.d-i-y

Default Accelerator stuck wide open while car is going fast: what shouldyou do?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 15:26:03 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

NY used his keyboard to write :
Was that ever done as a way of stalling an engine to turn it off. It
would have been in the late 60s, so whatever technology (mechanical
fuel pump and injectors) was around at the time. Not sure whether it
was 2-stroke (eg Commer "Knocker") or 4-stroke.

Certainly the had cranked static diesels of the era, had a lever to
release the compression, so the could be cranked over. You moved the
lever, cranked up to speed then released the lever to hopefully have it
fire up. Possibly lorries had a similar device too, to allow the starter
to crank the engine over. Called a 'valve lifter' I think (?)..

Correct. Also found on soem motorcycles (mainly big single cylinder
jobbies) to make kick starting easier.

I remember a friend of mine had a 500cc 'single' that seemed to do about
5 rpm!