Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport

Default Accelerator stuck wide open while car is going fast: what should you do?

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 00:14:28 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

But why would you bother when it's simple to just turn off the ignition?

'cause a diesel, burning it's own oil, will just carry on switched
off or not... B-)

But that's not a stuck throttle. ;-) And I'd say pretty rare?

Surely the important thing is to get the car to a standstill as safely
as possible?

So just use the foot brake a bit harder than normal to bring both car
and engine to a safe and controlled standstill.

The orginal start of this thread was based in the US. They mostly
drive automatics over there so the pigging thing will change down to
counter act the braking. Selecting N still doesn't strike me as
"right" though, selecting the highest fixed drive and braking ought
to work. Assuming the auto box and/or computers will allow that
change to happen with the engine under full throttle.

As I said with my auto which as drive by wire throttle, if you brake with
the throttle pedal still pressed, it cuts the engine.

However, selecting neutral with any gearbox while the throttle is wide
open might well result in engine damage. So why risk that when you can
switch off the engine?

Basically we're talking older cars. Many modern ones are drive by wire, so
far less likely the throttle can stick open.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.