Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sketchup grief again/still...

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 16:35:54 -0700, OFWW
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 20:41:47 -0400, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 16:06:53 -0700, OFWW
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 09:12:07 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/21/2018 7:56 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 20:48:49 -0700, OFWW

John, if you are using Win 10 then you can schedule your updates to
update in off hours. Problem is your computer must be on in order for
it to work.

Not on my work machine I can't. That's controlled by the IT
department.

And there are times when we don't _have_ "off hours". There are
programs that take a couple of days to run--if an update decides to
install and dog down the machine, that could turn into a couple of
weeks, and if it decides to force a reboot ten minutes before that
process is done then we've lost two days, against a tight deadline.

That's a management problem in IT not being in synch with production --
a common complaint and one I saw all the time in consulting. Sometimes
one could educate upper management and get something done; other times
"not so much", unfortunately. IT departments are extremely good at
using the fear factor to be able to browbeat technically unsophisticated
managers.

What would help me is Microsoft letting me make my own decisions about
what I want to install on my computer.

There's the rub, too -- MS doesn't like the idea that anything is
"yours", whether it's the OS, Office applications, or even the computer
itself. From their viewpoint it's all "theirs".

Unfortunately, the mindset is growing amongst all the other vendors as
well as they see the only way to maintain revenue stream is by forcible
means--once applications are "good enough" there's no incentive to
upgrade so the only recourse is obsolescence or subscription.

Subscription, there's the rub. Nickel and dime you to death, mixed
with promises.

The subscription price is actually quite reasonable for what you get.
5 seats of Office for 10 bucks a month is not bad. There was a time
when you would have paid 2500 bucks for that.

I've owned MS Office, full product ever since it was made available in
all its shapes, I can not ever remember paying that much.

500 bucks a pop for 5 copies of Office Pro? Don't remember those
days?

In any case, Windows is not sold by subscription.

Yes, there are subscription options for it, and has been commercially
for a few years.

There may be some way to subscribe to it but I don't pay a monthly or
yearly or any other kind of repeating charge for any copy of Windows I
use, and don't know anyone else who does either.

I am going to stop with this. I probably went too far even answering
these last two posts today.