Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Accelerator stuck wide open while car is going fast: what should you do?

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Nick Finnigan" wrote in message
news
Well it's an auto, so you'll be left foot braking, and not think about
the accelerator in an emergency.

I've always wondered how the left-foot braking thing ever came into being.
If you drive a manual car you are used to a fairly big movement with your
left foot, and finer, more precise movements with your right foot to
operate the brake or accelerator. Part of learning to drive is acquiring
the different muscle memory in your two feet.

Which bozo thought that it was sensible to operate the brake in an
automatic with your left foot, just because you won't need that foot for
the clutch? It means learning a whole new muscle memory, so as not to
press the brake as hard and as far as you would with the clutch, only to
have to unlearn this if you ever have to drive a manual.

I have always used my right foot to brake in an automatic, exactly as I
would for a manual.

Me too and I never had a problem when most of the work vehicles
were autos. But now can have a problem driving an auto at times
when I pull up and use the clutch and jam the brakes on with an auto,
presumably because I drive autos much less frequently than I used to.