Posted to uk.transport,uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Accelerator stuck wide open while car is going fast: what shouldyou do?

On 22/07/2018 23:50, NY wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
You could use the handbrake partially, ie not full on.

Why use the handbrake at all, if the footbrake is still working fine?

Although you say below the car has no brake servo, I was thinking to
compensate for the loss of the brake servo vacuum with the ign off.

Over reving the engine is the lesser of the evils compared to a high
speed collision.

I was thinking in terms of a con rod breaking which would probably seize
the crankshaft which would be bad news with the energy of the large mass
of the flywheel having to be dissipated very rapidly as it came to rest,
possibly locking the transmission (even with the slight clearance of a
clutch pedal being pressed) and hence the wheels.

I don't know how fast an engine might turn if all the mechanical load is
removed at full throttle, and how much extra load this would place on
the con rods. Modern cars with fuel injection and and ECU would almost
certainly have a rev limiter. But the car I was driving was much older
than that, with a carburettor, so there would be no limit to the engine
speed, other than normal engine friction and the maximum fuel flow that
the carb could manage.

If the car is in neutral it won't lock the wheels.

If you just turned off the engine on a manual, in neutral, then turn
ign on,* you could steer without power steering and have basic brakes.

As it happens, the car no PAS and no servo brakes, so neither would have
suffered.

There can't be many of those around.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud