Posted to uk.transport,uk.d-i-y

Default Accelerator stuck wide open while car is going fast: what shouldyou do?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 08:44:27 +0100, NY wrote:

There's a bit of difference between trying to set off from rest (when I
agree most handbrakes will make a big difference and the car may just
squat) and applying it when the car is already moving at high speed.
Handbrakes are usually pretty good at holding the car, even on a hill,
when they are stationary, but very poor at slowing down a moving car. I
tend to leave my car in first/reverse gear if I'm parking on a very
steep hill, as an added safeguard - the equivalent of leaving an
automatic in Park.

I wouldn't dare to apply the handbrake on my old Land Rover. Transmission
brake!