Posted to uk.transport,uk.d-i-y

Default Accelerator stuck wide open while car is going fast: what shouldyou do?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 08:39:20 +0100, NY wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 22:28:53 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

No all cars have an Acc posn on the Ign switch.

Indeed. And keyless ignition is usually 'press the button and it all
goes off'

You could use the handbrake partially, ie not full on.

Electric handbrake? (IYSWIM)

Yes, keyless ignition and electric handbrake are both a bit
all-or-nothing. I'd not thought about the engine stop/start button would
electrically engage the steering lock.

I don't think it does that. I hear the lock engaging when I leave teh
car, but also if I sit in it for a while with the engine off.

Maybe the presence of the remote keyfob in the car prevents it allowing
the steering to lock, and it only locks once the keyfob is out of range
when you leave the car.

Yes, although there seems to be a timeout too.