Posted to uk.transport,uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Accelerator stuck wide open while car is going fast: what should you do?

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 22:28:53 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

No all cars have an Acc posn on the Ign switch.

Indeed. And keyless ignition is usually 'press the button and it all goes
off'

You could use the handbrake partially, ie not full on.

Electric handbrake? (IYSWIM)

Yes, keyless ignition and electric handbrake are both a bit all-or-nothing.
I'd not thought about the engine stop/start button would electrically engage
the steering lock. I wonder if there's any safety interlock which prevents
the steering locking if the car is actually moving when it's operated, or
whether it really does lock immediately. Not very sensible if you need to
use it as a kill switch for the engine. Maybe the presence of the remote
keyfob in the car prevents it allowing the steering to lock, and it only
locks once the keyfob is out of range when you leave the car.

If it's all the same with you, I don't think I'll test this the next time I
happen to drive a car with keyless ignition :-)