Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Accelerator stuck wide open while car is going fast: what shouldyou do?

On Monday, 23 July 2018 01:06:52 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

I think the US use of the term "emergency brake" is very misleading. I
wouldn't use it in an emergency except as a last resort after I've tried
footbrake.

Sure, but thats why its called the emergency brake,
you use it when the foot brake doesnt work, in that
emergency. They dont mean that you should use the
handbrake instead of the foot brake in any emergency.

Presumably they dont call it the parking brake so
the less technical people realise that it isnt just for
parking, but also is available when the foot brakes
have failed. Not that that is at all common anymore
with modern cars having dual circuit hydraulic brakes
that dont all fail at once.

FWIW some early circuit brakes weren't properly independant and can fail totally due to a single fault. Drivers of old cars beware. DAMHIK.

NT