Posted to uk.transport,uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Accelerator stuck wide open while car is going fast: what shouldyou do?

On 22/07/2018 22:11, NY wrote:

I put it down to bad clutch/accelerator coordination. When it happened
again
as I changed to fourth, I realised it wasn't - especially as the car shot
forward like a scalded cat.

I once went for a test drive in a Honda NSX supercar. Cruising along
the motorway at a bit over 70, we came to some slower traffic, so I
prudently decided to change from 6th gear into 4th. It's quite a narrow
gate on the NSX, and I mostly drove automatic at the time, so I was
quite out of practice.

The effect of going directly from 6th to 2nd at that speed is not
catastrophic. It's a very finely engineered car. The engine is very
responsive, and it makes an impressive noise when taken well over the
red line in that way.