Tom Bach

Default spark plug life

Peter ) writes:
My lawnmower won't start again.
It is a four stroke Honda, the fuel supply is OK, the spark looks OK
when I take the plug out and rest it against the cylinder head and
pull the cord.
However, I know from experience, that as soon as I go down and buy a
new spark plug, the mower will work again. The plug seems to need
renewal, even though I have a small lawn, and it would have done no
more than 10 hours work, maximum.

What life do others get out of their plugs? Could I be missing
something?
Ta
Pete

What colour is the tip area of the plug? If it's sooty then the mixture
could be too rich. Is the exhaust smoky when it's running? Starting could
be difficult if you are trying first thing in the morning when the mower
is covered in dew. Do you have better luck if the mower sits in the sun
until it's good and hot throughout?