Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default How to size motor start cap?

In article ,
says...

Start caps are always non-polarized electrolytics. For the
non-believers see this video where the mad bomber puts 220VAC across a
start capacitor to easily disassemble it.
https://youtu.be/OMd9QkinXz4?t=360
Notice the electrolyte oozing out of the capacitor before it blows
out. Looks like the guy has done this more than a few times in the
past. Run capacitors are also non-polarized, but beside electroltyic,
can also be oil filled. Not the best document on the topic but at
least covers some of the details:
"DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RUN AND START CAPACITORS"
http://www.capacitorindustries.com/wp-content/uploads/Run-and-Start-Capacitors.pdf

I guess it is my time to be educated. Those start capacitors are
common but a special case for electrolytics. Good for a short time, but
will let loose if AC is applied for very long at one time.