Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Terry Schwartz Terry Schwartz is offline

Default Both caps blew! Why?

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 10:21:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:
My compressor wouldn't start this morning. So I figured it might be a
bad starting cap. But both caps had blown. All the guts right out of
the ends. Could it be that one cap blew first and then the other cap
failed because of the extra work it had to do?
Thanks,
Eric

The caps blew because they are decades old, in a high stress application. Once the first one blew the second was way overstressed. AC rated caps are tenuous beasts to begin with. My cousin in the HVAC business says compressor caps should be replaced every 5 years....