Art Todesco

Default elec. code for heater in bathroom

I have electric heaters in both the tub bath and the shower
bath. It's a wonderful luxury to have a toasty warm shower or
bath. In one room I have a wall mounted heater. In the other,
it's in the cabinet "kick plate." The only problem with this is
you really can't stand in front of it with bare feet ... it's
way too warm. If I had to do this one over, I might put it to
one side or just use another wall mounted unit, although wall
space in this bath is at a real premium. I don't know
specifically about codes, however, these units have fully
grounded cases, so they should be no problem. Anyway, much,
much better than a corded heater.

wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

The master bathroom in my house is freezing in winter. I'm thinking
of installing a wall heater or portable heater that I could put on a
timer to run just for a couple of hours in the morning. I have 2
1) Install an electric wall heater. There's an outlet on the other
side of the wall in where I'd install the heater, so I could run power
to it easily. The heater would be 2ft from the toilet, 4-5ft from the
shower and 6ft from the bath. It would be in a corner, almost under a
window (the window's on the other wall formed by the corner).
2) Install an outlet, presumably a GFI, in the same location, and plug
in a portable heater on a timer.
Any opinions? Are there any electrical code issues I should know
about?

Don't know about code, but I did this recently: bought an oil filled
electric radiator for a somewhat large bathroom. I think it's a
Kenwood. It has a timer and heats the room up to 80 for 2 hours
every morning. Now my furnace only turns above "nighttime"
temperatures for a few hours in the evening as I no longer reheat
my house in the morning just to take a shower and dress.

I went with the portable as (a) it was a quick solution in the midst of
winter, and (b) I figured there may be times when I want to use
the heater in the basement or garage.

I *wish* I had radiant heat on a timer under the tile floor. And I'm
going to look into the duct or towel heater option.

Matt