Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help with printer selecton

On 18/07/2018 18:00, newshound wrote:
On 18/07/2018 09:38, Broadback wrote:
I have a HP Photosmart 7520 printer. It gets intermittent use, the
problem is it needs sorting almost every time I wish to use it. The
cartridges dry, or some other problem develops. I suspect it is not
happy with spending quite long periods of time idle. I am seriously
considering getting a laser printer, are these as liable to problems
through inactivity? If not would someone care to make a
recommendation? I would like colour but an associated scanner is not
necessary. TIA

No brainer, I have a Lexmark CS410DN (duplex, networked) and it has been
fine. Not too bad at all for photos, especially if you laminate them
(although there is some sort of problem printing photos in Word documents).

? can't say I have noticed a problem with photos in Word documents.

Have had problems drawing circles programmatically in Excel though - it
turns out the poor circle gets kerned by the font metrics and ends up
oval unless you use a fixed width teletype style font!

Had a Dell before that, also good until the input circuitry died so I've
gone off them a bit.

The best inkjets will blow away a colour laser but the ink stability
longer term isn't fantastic. Long term display boards I prefer Fuji
crystal archive prints.

My inkjet printed posters on normal paper are visibly faded after 2-3
weeks under glass or perspex outdoors in full sunlight. Laser printed
ones survive all conditions and the ink doesn't run if rain gets in.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown