Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Both caps blew! Why?

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 14:19:18 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

My compressor wouldn't start this morning. So I figured it might be a
bad starting cap. But both caps had blown. All the guts right out of
the ends. Could it be that one cap blew first and then the other cap
failed because of the extra work it had to do?
Thanks,
Eric

Could be.

Did you have any lightning due to stormes in the ares from the last time
you used it ?

No lightning. It worked fine yesterday and this morning wouldn't
start. The compressor is outside so I wouldn't be able to hear when
the caps blew. So I don't know if they both blew at the same time or
if one blew and then the other. The caps are 115 volt caps and the
motor is 220 volts so each cap must be connected to one hot and the
neutral. Which makes me think that the motor may have been running on
just one cap for at least a little while. Maybe just yesterday. I
don't know how old the caps are but I have had the compressor for 4
years and I bought it used.
Eric