Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22929 Ignoramus22929 is offline

Default s.s. kitchenware as craft stock

On 2018-07-16, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 21:28:36 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

On 15/07/18 18:57, Ken Grunke wrote:
Does anyone know what type of stainless steel is generally used for common butterknives? They seem to have the same temper as carbon spring steel, as I can't bend them. Looking for guidelines on heat treating, as I want to hot-forge the handles to make jaw harps, and might have to restore the blade's temper for springiness of the tongue.

Stainless cutlery is generally 18 -8, 18% Cr, 8% Nickel so 304. It can't
be heat treated to harden it only by mechanical working.

Correct.

Check them with a magnet, as most cutlery knives, in my experience, were 400 series
stainless and magnetic as iron.