Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Can anyone tell me why this isnt complete ********

"NY" wrote in message
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
T i m wrote:

Is this whole keyless entry / start a solution to a problem that
didn't exist?

I think so, my car doesn't have keyless entry, but it does have keyless
start, I don't see the point, it just leaves you having to decide what to
do with the keys other than put them in the ignition ...

Leave them in your trouser pocket or handbag where you would keep them
when you weren't putting them in the ignition switch of a car that didn't
have keyless entry.

Keyless start may have a very small benefit. *Automatic* keyless unlocking
of doors (unless the user can disable it, requiring a manual press of the
button on the key) would seem to be a very big hijacking risk, especially
for women on their own,

But how much of that sort of hijacking is actually seen ?

Tho I spose you can make a case that if most cars had
that sort of system, there would be a lot more of it.

and also a risk of opportunist theft from the car as the owner first comes
into range.

Trivially fixed by limiting the range so that
you have to be next to the car to get in.