Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can anyone tell me why this isnt complete ********

Dave Plowman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

AIUI they pair their own key as an extra one for the car

To do that, you need access to the car and the correct software.

Thieves seem to manage both of those

They'd either have to have the original key to get a new one cut - or full
details of the car to order one up from the maker's data. And then
programme it to the car.

How many cars use mechanical door/ignition locks? Even without keyless
entry and without keyless start my previous car just used the 'plipper'
to open doors and had a slot to push the key into ... the actual cut key
was basically for emergencies.

(since I was discussing the older systems, not keyless)

Of course anything can be done. But the Jaguar/Land Rover keyless system
seems all too easy to clone.