Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Can anyone tell me why this isnt complete ********

"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 14/07/18 20:09, Tim Watts wrote:
On 14/07/18 15:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes I'm sure for once they can. I got the exact same info from a
metropolitan Police newsletter sent to our local neighbourhood watch.
The keyless systems, ie not the ones where you have to press the
button, but the ones that work on proximity have the car pinging and
seeing if a matching fob is nearby. Normally it is not, so the crims.
have two interlinked devices, the guy walks down the road and then when
he finds a car he knows has one of these opening systems, he records
its pinging and sends it to the person going down the row of houses,
when the person gets a ping back from a fob in a house, he then records
this and sends it to the other person who proceeds to get into the car.

The thing is, there is no non-action proximity device that you could not
insert a dumb relay between the key and the car.

Even if you have a normal challenge-response crypto system between Car
and Key, if you stick a relay device with two ends: A and B:

If A-B faithfully relay a copy of the signals (NFC, radio, it doesn't
matter) - there is no way C doesn't know it's not next to K

One time key solves that.

Rubbish.

Nope.

Good job you don't do security as you don't understand the problem in the
first place.

Those that understand the rolling code system do tho.

Same with the one time token used by apple pay and android/google pay.