Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Can anyone tell me why this isnt complete ********

Brian Gaff wrote

Yes I'm sure for once they can. I got the exact same info from a
metropolitan Police newsletter sent to our local neighbourhood watch.

Just because some fool cop claims something...

If it was that easy, we wouldnt see crims breaking into houses to get the
car keys.

The keyless systems, ie not the ones where you have to press the button,
but the ones that work on proximity have the car pinging and seeing if a
matching fob is nearby. Normally it is not, so the crims. have two
interlinked devices, the guy walks down the road and then when he finds a
car he knows has one of these opening systems, he records its pinging and
sends it to the person going down the row of houses, when the person gets
a ping back from a fob in a house, he then records this and sends it to
the other person who proceeds to get into the car.

Doesnt work like that with cars.

I think nowadays even some fobs where you have to action pressing a
button the two can communicate first to see if they are a match.

That mangles the real story too.

The idea of the tin foil is to make a faraday cage, the same advice has
been given out for contactless payment cards for similar reasons of course

And yet we dont actually see those with contactless cards get looted.

Its just another mindlessly silly urban myth.

I personally think something a bit more substantial than foil is a good
idea though. Say a small tin box.

The thing that annoys me with both contactless cards and car opening
systems is that so little security is built in for these systems.

Thats bull**** with rolling code systems and android/google pay and apple
pay.

One might expect that some kind of secondary system might be in place that
somehow stops people just recording signals and repeating them when you
consider the cost of a car and the need for security for your bank
account.

There is, rolling code systems.

I'm not sure I'd ever be comfortable using a phone as a payment card.

They are in fact vastly more secure because they use a unique token
for every transaction so the token is useless after its been used.

And you can't just pretend to be a merchant terminal
either, because the owner of the phone has to authorise
each transaction with their fingerprint etc.

The Natural Philosopher wrote

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...olen-safety-UK

How can a key wrapped in tinfoil even open a car?