Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can anyone tell me why this isnt complete ********

On 14/07/2018 15:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes I'm sure for once they can. I got the exact same info from a
metropolitan Police newsletter sent to our local neighbourhood watch.
The keyless systems, ie not the ones where you have to press the button,
but the ones that work on proximity have the car pinging and seeing if a
matching fob is nearby. Normally it is not, so the crims. have two
interlinked devices, the guy walks down the road and then when he finds
a car he knows has one of these opening systems, he records its pinging
and sends it to the person going down the row of houses, when the person
gets a ping back from a fob in a house, he then records this and sends
it to the other person who proceeds to get into the car.

GMP have been warning people about a spate of thefts from (not of) cars
with keyless entry in the local area in the last few days.

I think nowadays even someÂ* fobs where you have to action pressing a
button the two can communicate first to see if they are a match.The idea
of the tin foil is to make a faraday cage, the same advice has been
given out for contactless payment cards for similar reasons of course
I personally think something a bit more substantial than foil is a good
idea though. Say a small tin box.
The thing that annoys me with both contactless cards and car opening
systems is that so little securityÂ* is built in for these systems. One
might expect that some kind of secondary system might be in place that
somehow stops people just recording signals and repeating them when you
consider the cost of a car and the need for security for your bank
account. I'm not sure I'd ever be comfortable using a phone as a payment
card.

The car fobs that you press a button to operate use a rolling code
system to prevent the recording of a code as it is used and subsequent
playback.

I think that vulnerabilities in the rolling code system have been found
though.

SteveW