Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default New HVAC system --2 stage a/c; variable speed heat/fan

On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 10:14:06 AM UTC-4, DanT2590 wrote:
A friend of mine who owns a HVAC repair/installation installed a 5 ton
compressor that's 2 stage. But it is connected to a variable speed
blower/heater. I'm not sure that it's working correctly. I've tried calling
Ruud a few times just for advice and they say I need to get in touch with
whoever sold the system to the supplier. I'm hearing it using only 2 speeds of
the inside blower. I also noticed the same thing this winter--that it ran on
high or low, and the thermostat tells me the length it has run on HIGH and LOW
speeds....not saying anything about the variable speed fan..

Unless the thermostat is some super smart one that's made by the
furnace manufacturer and required, it's not going to know what speed
the fan is running or have any way of indicating it. And that's the
kind of thermostat you want, a smart, easy programmable one that works
with any system, not some proprietary expensive one that you can only
get from the manufacturer. I recommend the Honeywell VisionPro series.

How do I know it's set up correctly? Why did I buy a variable speed heating
unit and only use 2 speeds??

I'd like some advice if anyone could give it to me! Is there someone I can
call and talk to? I hate complaining to my friend that installed it!

These furnaces have settings that control things like max blower speed,
which speeds it uses for heat and cooling, etc that are set with dip
switches on the control board inside the furnace. First, I'd find the
exact model of the furnace. That may require pulling the door from the
burner section or the blower. On mine I think it's in the burner section,
on a label. With the complete model number you should be able to Google
and find the specs which will tell you what kind of blower it has.
Possibilities include:

two speed regular motor
two or more speed ECM motor that is more energy efficient
variable speed

And with the model number, Google for the installation manual. That
will show the switch settings for all the options. They are not always
available, but Ruud/Rheem is sold by some of the online houses that will
sell gear to anyone and they may have it.