Dick Smyth

Default Living With Real Floors?

"Art Begun" wrote in message
nk.net...
Wood is prettier but we have area rugs under all furniture which is a
bad idea for elderly parents so we put laminate in their townhouse
which they are very happy with. Life is full of compromises. If you
want dent and scratch resistence go with laminate. If you want the
look of real wood then get wood but be prepared for dents and
scratches.

"HerHusband" wrote in message
How about Living with Wood it looks better , it is better, it can

be
refinished, Laminates cant .

OK, sounds great.. How about some feedback on "Real" wood floors?
Thanks,

Anthony

ok...
We have laid a lot of tongue and groove pine flooring. It's stained a
"golden oak" colour and given 2 or 3 coats of urethane. We chose pine
because it is cheaper, because we have a lot of pine furniture and because
we wanted that "distressed" look. Oddly enough it has stood up much better
than I expected with little "distress." We're quite happy with it. Of course
we live in the country and want a country look. I don't think I would have
wanted this when we lived in the city. The boards are cut in random
lengths to create seams. They are anchored with countersunk deck screws
which are then covered with a piece of dowel, creating a "peg" effect.One
of the areas we have done replaced wall to wall carpeting which had been
down for about 7 years. You would not believe the crap in and under that
carpet. Needless to say the wood is muich easier to keep clean. Carpeting
probably was a mistake where we live. In fact we are talking about giving
our bedroom, which is carpeted and starting to look a little soiled,, the
same treatment. The pine with a light stain and occasional rugs and mats
looks just great.
ds