Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Air Conditioner

On 7/13/2018 11:15 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I would add if it starts OK every time, I would leave it alone. I don't
see the process by which it would extend the life. But if it's occasionally
tripping the breaker when starting, then I'd put one in. I had that happening
on my central AC that was about 10 years old at the time. It solved it
and it continued running for another 15 years with no problems, was still
running when I replaced it. And actually they are referred to here as a
"hard start kit", but it's the same idea. It's a cap that helps get it
started.

It won't have anything at all to do w/ the life of the compressor; it
_may_ extend motor life a little...