Posted to sci.electronics.repair
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Default Panasonic DMR-ES20 DVD Recorder Issue

Once upon a time on usenet Michael Black wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2018, ~misfit~ wrote:

Once upon a time on usenet Lee wrote:
Yes. Bad capacitor. Replacing it fixed it.

Handy to know. I have a DMR-ES20 that I haven't used for a few years
but I did like it a lot and you never know...

I had some other DVD recorder, I found it in a recycling bin. It
worked, but got flakier. It used a standard 40pin connector, so I
tried a computer DVD drive, I think that worked, but didn't fix the
problem.
So yes, given that I got an Acer 19" LCD monitor going by changing
electrolytics in the power supply (it sort of worked, but would reset
and I'd lose video then), I'm inclined to believe the DVD recorder
needs new electrolytics in the power supply. I've yet to pursue it
because it's not very useful now, the tuner doesn't receive DTV. But
if it was still useful, I'd have pursued the power supply.

I really liked the way mine handled DVD-RAM. Being able to chase-record
(time-slip) with a DVD recorder was great, as was being able to part-erase a
disc.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."