Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Panasonic DMR-ES20 DVD Recorder Issue

On 12/07/18 16:03, wrote:
Hi,

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder issue. When you plug it in (AC outlet),
the rolling "ooooooo" (initializing/recovery) never ends. I can force it to
go into standby by holding the Power button (on front panel) for 10 seconds.
Now there is a flashing "12:00". Next, I press the power button on unit or
remote, and a "Hello" appears. Normally, the "Hello" appears for a few
seconds, then goes away. Now, "Hello" stays on for hours. I did not wait to
see how many hours. Note: If I hold the power button for 10 seconds on the
unit, the display changes back to the flashing "12:00". However, I still can
NOT use this recorder.

PLEASE do NOT make suggestions because I have been there and
done that (years of electronics service repair background).

IMPORTANT:

I am looking for someone who had the EXACT SAME problem with
this model, "DMR-ES20" (NO letters after "20"), and he/she fixed
it. What did you do to fix this problem?

Thank You in advance, John

Many years ago I had a somewhat similar problem with a similar Panasonic
DVD recorder (DMR-E55). It went into an endless checking cycle at switch
on. It was fixed by replacing the regulator chip (Sanken STRG6353),
which was stressed and operating at the limit of its specs with a
barely-sufficient heat sink. I also fitted a bigger heat sink.

Why might this be relevant despite your comment? Because the same fault
was known to affect other Panasonic DVD and HDD devices.

--

Jeff