Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The varifocals have arrived

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:
I wouldn't, to start with. But I got used to mine within 24 hrs. The
only proviso is you might find them a PITA for working above your
head, because the "close-up" section is at the bottom of the lens, so
you need to tip your head back a long way. I keep meaning to get some
cheap single-vision glasses for, e.g., wiring up ceiling roses.

That's the beauty of contact lenses. They correct your distant vision
to normal so any old 'ready reads' are fine. Although you may well
want more than one power. Or rather may as you get older. ;-)

You can get "varifocal" contact lenses, they have rings with different
powers around them. They bring close and distant to focus but they do
lower contrast. There must be a compromise as in bright light there are
less rings to use but there is increased DOF too.

I *really* don't see the point in degrading the main vision for the sake
of possible convenience.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.