Robert

Default Electric Water Heater Problem, Repair or Buy new, please help

Hi All:

I have a problem with my electric water heater, which is 66 gallons,
Sears brand, 13 years old.

We bought this house about six months ago. Yesterday, without any
previous symptoms, I found the water from the heater very hot -
steaming. Since we were in a hurry to go out, I just switched the
heater's circuit breaker on the main board OFF. I thought the
thermostat might have gone bad and decided to replace it by myself
today.

Today morning, I switched the circuit breaker back ON to get some hot
water (generally I don't switch off the heater at all). After an hour
or so, since I did not get any hot water, I inspected everything and
found that the circuit breaker of the water heater on the main board
had tripped.

I searched google.groups and found a lot of information regarding this
- with possible causes, (1) a stuck thermostat OR (2) bad heating
elements.

To experiment, I turned the bottom thermostat all the way to the
lowest point. Put the upper thermostat at a medium level and switched
the circuit breaker back on. Within about 5 minutes the circuit
breaker tripped again. I tried the same experiment with the upper
thermostat with similar results.

So here are my questions. I think either the thermostat(s) or the
heating element(s) had gone bad.
(1) Should I get an electrician to repair the heater - replace the
thermostats and/or the elements OR
(2) Considering the age of the heater (and the previous owner was not
good in maintaining it – she never drained it in a period of 5 years),
should I buy a new heater.

Please advice.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Robert