Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Difficult customer

Gareth Magennis wrote:

The commenters below the video probably convinced him that the noise he's
complaining about is part and parcel for that type of amp.

I think the customer's main beef is the amp is too noisy to record.

** I used to get that BS a lot once from incompetent studio "engineers".

Dynamic mics were often pushed up against the grille cloth of a cab ( live sound reinforcement style ) and significant hum then heard in the control room monitoring.

Fact often was the amp did not audibly hum at all - the mic ( usually a Shure 57 or 58) was picking up supply frequency mag field from the amp's power transformer.

Any dynamic mic's voice coil alone can do this plus 57s & 58s have *unshielded* matching transformers in the handle that do an even better job.

Whatever, I think the customer doesn't have much of a clue about what he
has, and how best to use it.

** Correct.

...... Phil