Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Help: Phillips screw 1/2 inch from the wall

"Michael" wrote in message

I'm trying to remove a triangle-shaped entertainment center installed in the
corner of the room. It is mounted using vertical cleats, with small head,
longish phillips screws about 1/2 inch from the wall and in tight spaces
(going in sideways). If I had full access with my drill driver, no problem.
Out in a second. But the diameter of my drill driver won't let me get the
bit flush with the screw. If I angle it, I'll strip it, and there's not
enough room anyway. They are in there really good, and they are longish, and
I've had no luck getting enough pressure on an offset screwdriver to get it
done manually.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

******************

1/4" drive - two modest length extensions and a universal joint in the
middle. A good universal Not a crappy wore out floppy one. A wobble end
extension might be enough, and won't flop like a wore out universal joint.
1/4" deep socket on the end with your driver in it. Needs to be deep to
reduce flop. Need to have a longish bit driver so it sticks out enough.
Use a small block or shim behind the extension to set the angle correctly
from the wall. Use your finger tips to hold the angle correctly up and
down. Use your drill driver to apply adequate forward pressure so the bit
doesn't skip in the screw head. I've run across Phillips tips with
serrations on the blade faces that can help with this, but in any case use a
fresh new sharp driver tip.

This is one thing I might have done more of than some of these wood working
pros. Turn screws. As a communications tech and licensed communications
contractor I've had to turn a **** ton ** of screws in the last few decades.
Often frozen in place and in odd locations with little or no clearance. (I
retired from contracting the end of 2016. I think my licenses expired last
month.)

** **** ton... kind of like a regular ton, but nastier.