Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Recharging a Dead Dehumidifier

On Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 3:29:29 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

IDK about the leaking refrigerant part, but I've seen countless posts
where people complain that dehumidifiers just don't last today and
I've had that experience with two different brands myself. A couple
years is all I got. They were so bad that I took the extended warranty
on the last one and sure enough in two years it failed.

I don't know the cause of failuer either,but two friends of mine have
had several units and they only last a couple of years if that long.

And also, the original post from years ago was about possibly getting
it recharged. They don't lose charge unless something goes bad and leaks
and they don't have recharging ports either. This isn't like an auto
AC where there may be a small leak at the compressor shaft seal or a
schrader valve and you can easily hook up to a port and check the pressure
and charge it. Which is why I doubt loosing refrigerant is the problem.
I know on one of mine, a Sears, it was the blower motor that was a POS.
The first one failed, I bought a replacement for ~$45, put it in, it
didn't last a year. Not having learned my lesson, I ordered another motor
put that in and it smoked when I powered it up. Later looking on line
I saw a whole lot of people saying the motors were failing.