Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Australian supermarkets work to prevent "bag rage" as plasticsban takes effect

I once questioned a local disposal company about how they process
plastic bags and that type of plastic that bags are made from, as
opposed to types of plastics that are reusable in manufacturing. At
least in their case they are incinerated in a sealed furnace that
emits no polutants into the atmosphere.

The last 47 years of my working career was in a form of plastics. Back
many years to town we were in had an incinerator for trash. They liked
out plastic because it burned hot and they could mix it in with soggy
loads to get them burnt better. Back then no one was thinking about
using it to generate electricity. Pound of polystyrene contains 18,000
BTU of energy, roughly 7 pounds equal a gallon of oil. Better to use it
than bury it or fill the ocean with it.