View Single Post
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Sony Blu-Ray Player issue FIXED!!!

"When was the last time you saw "it's A Sony!" on
a Sony Product? Can't even remember because even Sony knows their products have the quality of cockroach ****. "

Well for me it was 1995 on my SLV-920HF, which still works after greasing that frikken lever that pulls the tape into halfload mode. My SL-HFR60 has never needed services and I now have an old 13" Sony in the bedroom so old it has no letters in the model number, might be a KV-1326 (???) It has better color rendition than I have seen on ANYTHING, except the old KP-36XBR I finally got rid of a few years ago. The ****es me off, there was no room for it. Of course on the 13" I have to turn the color almost all the way down. So it lacks the resolution, but Spock is green and everyone else isn't.

I used to work for a Sony Signature dealer, I touted their products to no end. the only thing was that their audio equipment was totally unimpressive. Seems they have a different idea on how music should sound. But back then everything else was top notch.

Later I took another job and left on good terms, still recommended them and buying them from where I worked before. They had great prices on the high end stuff, and this place had manufacturer's reps begging to get their product on the floor. The owner saw an ad for a Pioneer and told them to come and pick up everything that said Pioneer on it that was in stock or on the floor.

After many more years in servicing them, I found they had become total junk.. they wouldn't even put current limiting in their power supplies, something they had done for decades. I never liked their audio equipment and the changes over the years did nothing to endear them to me, to say the least. Anything aftyer the STR-V7 was pretty much junk, and the 7 wasn't all that hefty either, couldn't handle 4 ohms, **** tone controls. Great tuner but I don't need a tuner the size of Kansas. The ESS line, well it is not considered all that great by real audiophiles. Good but not great and their FET amps that destroy themselves if they get low line voltage were not quite what I call good engineering.

Today, I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with anything they make. And why should I hit a dog in the ass anyway ? Hit the Sony in the ass with a dog. No I guess that doesn't work either.

Everything is junk. Digital TV is junk. Digital FM is junk. New cars are junk.

I watch online shows on my PC(s). I got a 23" monitor in the basement I can actually SEE, and speakers I can actually HEAR. I can pause it for days. And the OS is 17 years old. I got a laptop with possibly the biggest screen of any laptop ever, 17" wide. Both play online video practically flawlessly on second tier DSL. I NEVER reboot the one in the basement, but the laptop I have to every once in a while, maybe once a month if that.

I see a very, very good picture on that 13" right now. the laptop is next to it and it has more resolution that I can't really see, but it is not as good. Nothing will ever beat CRT technology but plasma comes close because it is phosphors. The phosphors are more efficient but they seem lioke the primary colors are contaminated with white. so there needs to be more of a color difference applied for the same saturation level, and its ultimate limit is less than the old inefficient phosphors that yielded that stunning deep blue and green, and even red. My old original XBR projection, the first one, had that. The color depth is nonpareil. And even though the colors in an LCD are separated by prismatic action and pure, they still lack the contrast range, and cannot reproduce like the old style phosphors. The ones with better contrast modulate the light from the LEDs behind to enhance it. You can see the black clipping, and most of them white clip as well. Distortion. thatis not high fidelity rendition, and don't even get me started on that ****ing surround sound that makes it impossible to understand the words and you have to crank up the volume to try to hear it and then a car blows up and the neighbors call the cops because they think there was an explosion.. And now, you can't even insert an audio compressor inline because it is all digital.

I wouldn't have destroyed the DVD player though, I would sell it on Craigslist to get a few bucks. Get yourself some beer and be happy. Or less unhappy. I am displeased with just about all electronics today and that includes cars. Three [pounds of metal and the rest circuit boards, and if the public REALLY knew how cheap technology is they would burn every car factory in this country to the ground.

Think you had a rant ? Now you KNOW what a rant is, and it is supported by facts.