Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default smoke alarm with montoring delay

On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 9:54:40 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
How do I get my home's smoke alarm to not send a signal to the
monitoring company right away?

Even though the system is grounded through a 6' copper rod, there was a
lightning strike that set off the smoke alarm which called the
monitoring company.

A week later, I was broiling something and I left the oven on in case I
needed to put the food in for more time, and though I didn't smell
anything, the smoke alarm went off and it started dialing the monitoring
company within about 2 minutes. I called them and cancelled, but now
I'm afraid to cook anything except by boiling.

What key words should I look for to buy something new?

Modern alarm system panels are highly programmable and the delay for various trips before it sends an alarm can be set. Find the installation manual for your. If you bought it from an alarm monitoring company you won't have the install code ti change it though. But they can change it, probably for the cost of a trip, even though modern ones can be reconfigured remotely.