Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Australian supermarkets work to prevent "bag rage" as plasticsban takes effect

On 7/3/2018 2:48 PM, wrote:

"Muggles" wrote in message
news
: We always opt to use paper bags when we forget to bring our re-usable
: fabric bags with us, which is not very often.
:
: --
: Maggie

I am sure someone makes a decent fabric bag but the ones the store
sells for $1-3 are crap. A few trips through the laundry or a month or
2 in the car and they fall apart.
Why is it so hard for people to just put the plastic bags in the
trash? If you really want to recycle them there is a barrel at the
store that takes them ... and throws them in the trash I suppose.

The paper bags are marginally better when discarded carelessly as water
will break them down, but they are no better in landfills.

The real problem is many people are lazy and inconsiderate slobs. Some
countries are far worse than the US too and dispose of stuff carelessly.

Stores are often careless in how they pack them too. I often tell the
bagger to put X in the same bag as Y. It won't be too heavy, nor will
it damage, leak, or anything else. It goes from cart to car to house in
minutes and they are all in packages anyway. Plastics can be burned
for energy too. We can't just dig holes in the ground and bury stuff
forever so get good use from trash.