Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Motorcycle ramp

On 7/2/2018 7:56 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 07:54:17 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 6/29/2018 10:12 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 17:00:27 -0400, Meanie wrote:

On 6/29/2018 9:17 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Ron wrote:

I'm thinking of making a motorcycle ramp 8 ft long & 3 ft wide with
3/4 inch plywood to load a 600 lb bike on a car hauler trailer. Will
the 3/4 " plywood hold the weight?

i'll just leave this here . . .

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XRvuuCzckJU?
autoplay=1&iv_load_policy=3&rel=0

https://www.youtube.com/embed/GPVCY59F1KE?
autoplay=1&iv_load_policy=3&rel=0

I'm amazed (not really) at the lack of thinking from many of the loaders
in the videos.

There seems to be a common thread in these episodes: a failure to
understand that maintaining balance on any two-wheeled conveyance
requires significant forward speed.

In some cases, this is replaced by the failure to recognize that the
speed sufficient to get up the ramp while maintaining balance simply
*cannot* be shed in just a couple of feet.

Of course, the folks who had the good sense to walk their bikes up the
ramps didn't have the sort of outcome that would have resulted in being
included in these vids...

LOL, Exactly. Cant count the number of times I walked my Harley up the
2x12 into the bed of my PU. Typically my wife was pushing from the rear
also and that also kept the bike steady as I made my jump up into the
bed and steering.

Wow! Your wife is in really good shape. How much does she bench
press?

Actually back then, early to mid 80's she did weight lifting.