Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Proportion of water to mortar and concrete mixes

On Monday, 2 July 2018 22:20:31 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 13:45:16 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

snip

Didn't I read here possibly something about some types of cement
having fibers in it to make it stronger when used with just fine sand
or somesuch?

plastic fibres increase tensile strength greatly, which is what you need to stop breakage of planters.

So, if I understand it correctly 'cement' is really only the glue that
binds the aggregate together so what would I use to do the round
planter shown in the video?

You can buy the fibres,

So would that become the only binder in with straight cement or would
that be with a (say) sharp sand? The slurry shown on the video looked
too fluid to be sharp so could it be soft or even silver sand etc?

or just stick a bit of synthetic carpet through a shredder.

;-)

Cheers, T i m

Fibres are added to the usual sand/cement mix at somewhere around 1%

NT