Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Proportion of water to mortar and concrete mixes

On Monday, 2 July 2018 18:25:07 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 18:07:21 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jim K
wrote:

T i m Wrote in message:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 16:51:42 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jim K
wrote:

snip

Cement :total water ratio should be at maximum equal.
Can use less water with plasticisers (no fairy liquid please).

On this subject ... What type of sand (if any) and ratio of cement
(and what kind) would you typically use if casting / forming a garden
planter?

Typically?

A bit vague I accept.

See if this puts more detail in the

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWGzwCG7qkA

I'd start my trials with a strong concrete mix with small
aggregate (angular not pea gravel think granite chippings)
--

I can see how that would be idea for something chunky you were going
to cast but for the 'poured' process shown above, I'm thinking it

Didn't I read here possibly something about some types of cement
having fibers in it to make it stronger when used with just fine sand
or somesuch?

Cheers, T i m

plastic fibres increase tensile strength greatly, which is what you need to stop breakage of planters. You can buy the fibres, or just stick a bit of synthetic carpet through a shredder.

NT