Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Rust on a morse taper

On 7/1/18 1:57 AM, Jerry Osage wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jun 2018 17:45:57 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

I decided to change the center on my lathe and (finally) after punching the old one out, I see that there was rust on the connection.

What's the proper method for cleaning rust off a morse taper?

All help much appreciated.

Mike

The best rust remover that I have ever found and used is Evapo-Rust ER004.
This stuff works. It's fast and non-toxic with no bad fumes. In the case of
the taper - wrap it in a paper towel, soak the towel with the remover,
squeeze out any air pockets for good contact and wait about 15 minutes. Wash
the taper off with water and shine it up with scotch-brite - job done.

I buy the 3.5 gallon pail with a screen basket insert, but they sell smaller
quantities. Probably the cheapest place to buy is www.advanceautoparts.com/
although I purchase from Amazon.

Interesting. I've always considered removers with phosphoric acid, like
RustFree, to be the most efficient and fastest removers. But phosphoric
acid is corrosive, so a lot more care must be taken.

This Evapo-Rust is non-corrosive and uses a different chemical process
to basically do the same this that phosphoric acid does-- change the
chemical bond of rust to turn into something other than rust.

I will try this product next time I need to do rust removal and see if
it works as well as RustFree.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)