Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard[_10_] Richard[_10_] is offline

Default Cat flap in a glazed UPVC door question

On 01/07/18 17:30, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 1 Jul 2018 17:06:20 +0100, Terry Casey
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I'm pretty sure your cat wouldn't differentiate
between a wild sparrow and my budgie that I let out for it's afternoon
fly around in my back garden?

I guess this is what happens when you introduce a non-native species
to a country but don't let their natural predators have their way.

Wouldn't your 'non-native species' budgie be much happier
flying freely around in its own habitat rather than being
imprisoned in a cage in a foreign country for most of its
life?

It would, but being caged, fed and watered is still 'better' than
being mauled to death by a cat over several hours?

FWIW, I don't support the keeping of things like birds in small cages
(especially indoors) either. Owning a bird of prey (working a lure or
deterring feral pigeons) or racing pigeon would at least mean they
could be allowed to do what they naturally do for some proportion of
their lives.

We don't currently have a dog (we did have 3 at one point, all rescue
animals) because I don't feel we could give one what it would need.

We could have a cat ... and just let it out to roam the neighbourhood
all day but what would be the point of that? It's not that we live on
a farm and need any rodents kept under control and would rather
protect rather than kill any other wildlife we have out there, whilst
we still have it. ;-(

'Man's best friend is a dog' and not much else compares.

They make such good companion animals because they have lived with and
worked for us for millions of years and so now rely on us (and us
them) for lots of practical things.

I guess when they can train a cat to sniff out drugs or do mountain
rescue, I'd consider one as a companion animal (or when I'm old and
infirm, maybe I'd succumb (but I doubt it)). ;-)

Spelling again.
suck cum
YVW