Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT Engine oil differences

wrote in message
On Sunday, 1 July 2018 12:20:58 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

does oil flow reduce if thicker? Or does the oil pump just deliver
higher pressure? If it's an engine driven gear type I'd expect the
latter.

Oil systems usually have a maximum pressure limiting valve.

but we don't know at what point that operates.

And yes, a thicker oil isn't going to circulate as quickly.

that's only true if pressures are the same. They aren't. Closer to say
flows are the same, thus pressure higher.

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

If the flows are the same, there would be no point in using thicker
oil in a car which is using a lot more oil than it should do.

Oil also helps to cool bearings etc. Which it
won't do as well if circulating more slowly.

if.

It if didnt, there would be no point in using thicker oil, stupid.