Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Engine oil differences

On Sunday, 1 July 2018 12:20:58 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

does oil flow reduce if thicker? Or does the oil pump just deliver
higher pressure? If it's an engine driven gear type I'd expect the
latter.

Oil systems usually have a maximum pressure limiting valve.

but we don't know at what point that operates.

And yes, a
thicker oil isn't going to circulate as quickly.

that's only true if pressures are the same. They aren't. Closer to say flows are the same, thus pressure higher.

Oil also helps to cool
bearings etc. Which it won't do as well if circulating more slowly.

if.

NT