Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Cat flap in a glazed UPVC door question

"GB" wrote in message
news
On 01/07/2018 00:23, John Rumm wrote:
On 30/06/2018 15:28, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , John
Rumm wrote:

On 30/06/2018 15:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
The only way I've seen this done is by replacing the lower glazing
panel
with something else, looks like some kind of hard plastic on the one I
remember. Then a cat flap was fitted.

In this particular case that is not so easy as the photo shows a door
divided into three full height vertical glass panels. It would be
tricky to fit in a new cross member and not have it look a bit odd.

In our case we put the cat-flap through the wall next to the uPVC door.
The flap itself is on the inside, the other side of it there's a tunnel
to the outside. Cats seem to cope well with that.

+1 did the same here... just fitted the external bezel on the outer wall
and made up a WBP ply tunnel to link the flap and exterior bezel.

No need for a ply tunnel. You just needed one of those proper drills, like
they used on the Covent Garden safe deposit raid. A big Hilti IIRC.

Depends on how the wall is done. The most stupid
cats would likely end up exploring the cavity and could
get a bit smelly when they can't work out how to get out.