Posted to alt.home.repair
ZZyXX[_4_] ZZyXX[_4_] is offline

Default How do I find t he leak

On 6/29/18 1:48 PM, BurfordTJustice wrote:
Unzip your pants..

"micky" wrote in message
: Yesterday, I found water dripping from my dining room chandelier. This
: hasnt' happened for 25 years, and when it did, it was after someoen took
: a shower in the bathtub. I take showers in the shower and baths in the
: bathtub.
:
: The leak will be hard to find. Above the dining room are two bathrooms
: side by side, each with a sink and a toilet, one with a shower and one
: with a bathtub. Those two things are back to back. No evidence of any
: of the leaking, no wetness underneath the sinks, etc. which would put
: the leak inside the walls.
:
: I don't think it's a drain pipe because I hadn't used much water prior
: to noticing the drip, and I hadn't sloshed any water out of the bathtub
: afaicr, certainly not enough to reach the floor below.
:
:
: How do I find a leak inside the walls? Is there some clever way, like
: putting a radio transmitter in the water that will beep when it gets out
: of the pipe?
:
: The alternative seems to be to take out the toilet and rip open the wall
: behind it and look around. "Exploratory surgery".
:
: I don't want to rip out the dining room ceiling because so far there is
: no damage to it. The water exits through the electric box and runs down
: the chandelier chain. That's what used to happen 25 years ago when it
: dripped then, and there was no damage that showed up later.

there probably are more appropriate groups to do your soliciting in