Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Rolson manual ratchet puller

On 29/06/2018 10:39, Bill wrote:
In message ,
newshound writes
Obviously, the first thing to sort is which way round the spring goes
and where it is anchored. After that, the usual trick if you need to
apply a bit of pre-tension is to make a loop from thin cord or wire
which you hook over the free "hook" of the spring before winding it an
extra turn around the spindle. Then use the loop to get the spring
hooked into place. Finally cut the loop to remove it. Hope this makes
sense! Failing that, long nosed pliers can be useful.

Hmmm well, after trying for ages with the loop of thin cord, I think
that method will not work because of the lack of any free "hook" and the
shape of the free end of the spring. The spring seems to have a lot more
tension than necessary, which doesn't help.

The next stage, when I have time, is toÂ* see if there is any way to use
brute force to tension the pawl spring during reassembly and, after that
fails, maybe look at constructing some sort of jig.

All very frustrating because of lack of time to be able to get a good
run at it.

To be honest I don't recall if that is how I put mine back together, or
whether I used something rigid like a screwdriver (perhaps with a
modified tip). But there will be a way to do it, and it is *so*
satisfying when you do manage!

---