Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Engine oil differences

On Saturday, 30 June 2018 11:15:29 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Hi All

I have an old Audi A4 which consumes a lot of oil and has done for
years. MOT test fine and no obvious leaks nor particularly smokey. We
have been using 5w30 fully synthetic oil and to be honest given how long
a litre of it lasts (around 400 miles for a litre) I can't imagine
whatever we put in it would make much difference.

I have looked online and some seem to say to use this oil and some
mineral oil. Also, I was wondering if a thicker one would be better
(assume 5w40 is thicker?).

Will changing to a synthetic 5w40 or even to mineral oil make any
difference?

Any oil / engine buffs out there?

Thanks

400 miles per litre is higher than you'd expect these days, although once
would have been well within spec for many engines.

Have you checked Ebay etc for a source of the correct oil at the best
price? Your garage doesn't pay anything like the 15 quid or so a litre
they charge you. By buying in bulk.

the 'correct oil' is the wrong stuff for a well worn engine.

NT