Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Motorcycle ramp

On Friday, June 29, 2018 at 9:19:04 AM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 6/29/2018 8:09 AM, Leon wrote:
On 6/28/2018 10:44 PM, Ron wrote:
I'm thinking of making a motorcycle ramp 8 ft long & 3 ft wide with
3/4 inch
plywood to load a 600 lb bike on a car hauler trailer.Â* Will the 3/4 "
plywood
hold the weight?

I would not trust it.Â* FWIW I used to load Harleys in the back of my 79
GMC and used an 8' 2x12.Â* It bowed but never enough to make me feel it
might break.Â* Trucks tail gates were not as tall back then either.

Maybe if you put a couple of cinder blocks under the plywood to limit
the bow, you would likely be OK.Â* It would not have to be a perfect fit,
just close enough to limit the bow.

Smart money would go with DerbyDad's suggestion. Reasonably priced and
designed for the job.

Thanks, but I have to admit that I do have a set of home made ramps that
have worked well.

I took a couple of 2 x 6 PT boards and screwed them to some 4 x 4 PT
fence posts. They ain't bending or breaking under my usage.

The heaviest thing I've loaded with them (and why I built them) is to get
a riding lawn mower into my trailer. Maybe an 18" rise, so it's not hard
to push it up carefully and come back down if we get off center.