Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Does a tyre change its CIRCUMFERENCE when underinflated?

"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 29/06/2018 11:39, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

What I'm discounting is a *big* change
in circumference because the axle is "closer to the road"

Well, my axle is 5mm closer to the road (when stationary, who know how
much centrifugal [let's not have *that* discussion] force negates that
when moving?)

It negates it quite a lot..
I had a puncture and my front tyre went flat over a couple of hundred
yards in the roadworks on the M6. Rather than stop I continued to drive
for three miles to the end of the road works so I could get on the hard
shoulder.
When I got the tyre replaced there was no wear on the inside to show it
had been rubbing but the hole couldn't be fixed.
The car drove fine.
The only reason I knew it had gone was the TPMS (with pressure sensors)
told me.
I might have noticed if there had been a big bang and I had braked by
mistake.
Not that I recommend doing 50 mph on a flat tyre.

The other flat I had on the M6 was in the rear tyre when I ran over
something in the dark, that split the tyre and dented the rim.
After I pulled up on the hard shoulder there were about another 6 cars
pull up near me all with one or more flats.

I haven't had a flat since but there is always the chance.

There is no spare on the latest car nor anywhere to put one

Which car is that ? Stupid idea IMO.

so the AA can fix it next time.

Trouble with that approach is the annual cost of that and the much
longer time for them to show up than to change it yourself.